Sunday, January 25, 2009

Identifying with Literature





My Aunt Kay sent me Jack London's "To Build a Fire" when I was in grade school. I think that one book had the greatest impact on me as an elementary school student. I felt so much as I read of the multiple missteps taken by protagonist as he comes to the realization the reader has already embraced--he will die. It is a cold, desperate read. One that is very similar to London's tale is The Road, the book I finished during Joe, Ingrid, and my last trip to Baltimore.

I continue to think of The Road and wonder how the Busby family would fare in similar circumstances. The world we live in is so protective, forgiving of our weaknesses. I believe that Joe would have to go it alone. How could we hide to evade passing bands of cannibalistic soldiers if Jack screams? Run from roving, crazed thieves if Ingrid cannot run? Make our way to the warmth of the South if I'm having seizures? Yes, Joe would have to go it alone.

And these are the things I think about when I read a book that I think is good.

No comments: