Sunday, September 7, 2008

Collections

I have discovered lately that I can label my life through (until now) unidentified collections:

1. The dozens of books, manuals, magazines, and catalogs on autism

Honestly, I think I thought if I can just read enough about Jack's autism it might suddenly go away. You know, just like the Scholastic 'Class Reads' offer--read 200 books as a class, and they will donate a certain amount of money to a school library. I am slowly realizing this is my desire. If I can just understand autism, the theories of it, the methods of therapy, then I can defeat it. That is ridiculous. So, I am making the pledge--no more books. (Although I really did like Lynn Kern Koegel's books.)

2. Boxes of tea

I have always liked tea. No, not always, but I have always liked the idea of tea. (And I certainly love tea now.) I had tea parties with my mom when I was Ingrid's age. Now Ingrid has the same parties. My tea drinking has gotten to be a bit of a ritual. To make a pot of tea revolves around a series of steps that must be followed exactly. It is where I can control my life and I do: in the boiling of water in the kettle, turning off the whistling kettle for a 30 second wait before pouring it over 4 tea bags in the red rose tea pot, waiting 6 minutes before taking out the tea bags and then adding 2 spoonfuls of raw sugar. It is interesting to note that milk was added to the tea cup first as necessity, not ritual, the fine bone china of the tea cup would break if the hot tea was added first. (Thank you, Splendid Table NPR)

3. Bottles of whiskey

Joe collects them, and in a different life I drank my share of whiskey. Now Joe does, but it is good to know it is there if needed.

4. Four pink or white signed casts

So, I think we need to put Ingrid's casts in a plastic tub and store them in the attic, but right now they decorate various rooms of the house. We have them on dressers and bookshelves. It is a permanent reminder of the journey we are going on with our brave little girl.

No comments: